Growing up, the only coleslaw I ever tried was soggy, super-sweet and drowning in sauce. I almost swore it off forever, but my husband’s love for Southern comfort foods – like this grain-free chicken fried steak and homestyle gravy – inspired me to give it another shot.
Crisp, fresh and tossed in a sauce that is sweet, creamy and light, this coleslaw recipe is now one of my – and my kids – favorite side dishes for picnic lunches and outdoor barbecues. Serve it up with slow cooker pulled pork sandwiches, grass-fed hot dogs, chicken nuggets or burgers. Enjoy!
Easy Coleslaw Recipe
- 1/2 pound green cabbage (about half of a small cabbage)
- 1/2 pound red cabbage (about half of a small cabbage)
- one large carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- generous 1/2 cup homemade mayo - If you've ever tried and failed at making mayo, try this technique
- 1 tablespoon plus one teaspoon apple cider vinegar (This store-bought brand is raw and therefore has beneficial enzymes intact. If you're feeling adventurous and would like to make your own, you can find instructions for doing that here. _
- 1 tablespoon honey (this is the kind I use)
- 1/2 teaspoon unrefined sea salt, or more to taste (where to buy sea salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cut both cabbage heads in half remove the core. Place the cabbage flat side down slice into thin strips.
In a small bowl, whisk together the mayo, apple cider vinegar, honey, salt and pepper.
- Add shredded cabbage, carrot and diced onion to a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss until well combined. Add additional salt, pepper or honey if desired.
Could you use $60 in FREE organic groceries?
I love sharing new recipes and exclusive deals with you, so let’s stay in touch! To thank you for signing up for my newsletter, I’ve partnered with Thrive Market to give you a total of $60 off your first three purchases – i.e. $20 off each order.
If you’re not familiar with them, Thrive Market is basically Whole Foods meets Costco, delivered directly to your door. They’re on a mission to make healthy living affordable by offering wholesome food and non-toxic products for less than you’d pay in traditional retail stores. Fill out the form below to claim your free groceries!