Growing up, the only coleslaw I ever tried was soggy, super-sweet and drowning in sauce. I almost swore it off forever, but my husband’s love for Southern comfort foods – like this grain-free chicken fried steak and homestyle gravy – inspired me to give it another shot.
Crisp, fresh and tossed in a sauce that is sweet, creamy and light, this coleslaw recipe is now one of my – and my kids – favorite side dishes for picnic lunches and outdoor barbecues. Serve it up with slow cooker pulled pork sandwiches, grass-fed hot dogs, chicken nuggets or burgers. Enjoy!
Easy Coleslaw Recipe
- 1/2 pound green cabbage (about half of a small cabbage)
- 1/2 pound red cabbage (about half of a small cabbage)
- one large carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- generous 1/2 cup homemade mayo - If you've ever tried and failed at making mayo, try this technique
- 1 tablespoon plus one teaspoon apple cider vinegar (This store-bought brand is raw and therefore has beneficial enzymes intact. If you're feeling adventurous and would like to make your own, you can find instructions for doing that here. _
- 1 tablespoon honey (this is the kind I use)
- 1/2 teaspoon unrefined sea salt, or more to taste (where to buy sea salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cut both cabbage heads in half remove the core. Place the cabbage flat side down slice into thin strips.
In a small bowl, whisk together the mayo, apple cider vinegar, honey, salt and pepper.
- Add shredded cabbage, carrot and diced onion to a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss until well combined. Add additional salt, pepper or honey if desired.
Need help making REAL food work in REAL life?
Then I’d love to give you a free copy of my ebook – The Busy Mama’s Guide To Getting Dinner On The Table – as a gift for signing up for my newsletter. You’ll get my top seven tips for simplifying meal prep, plus updates when I post new healthy recipes, exclusive gifts, coupons (I was able to give away a jar of free coconut oil to anyone who wanted it recently!), and other goodies. Don’t miss out!