A protein-packed, mineral rich meal in 15 minutes flat? Yes, please! Usually egg drop soup recipes call for thickeners like cornstarch or arrowroot – which is not GAPS-friendly – and soy sauce is a no-no, so I hadn’t even attempted it. But by happy accident [read NO FOOD in the house], I recently rediscovered egg drop soup. Yay!
I actually prefer this version to the thickened ones, although now that we’ve transitioned to a paleo approach a little arrowroot powder could technically be stirred in. I hope you love this simple recipe as much as we do!
Egg Drop Soup Recipe
- 1 diced onion
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon coconut aminos - naturally fermented soy sauce can be substituted if desired (where to buy coconut aminos)
- 2 quarts unsalted chicken broth
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1-2 teaspoons sea salt - start with 1 and increase to taste - you may need less if you use soy sauce because it is higher in salt than coconut aminos (this is the salt I use)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp fish sauce - optional (where to buy fish sauce)
- 2 tablespoons green onions, (optional)
- Add coconut oil/sesame oill to a medium-sized pot and warm over medium heat. Add onions and saute until soft.
- Add the chicken broth, coconut aminos, salt, pepper and fish sauce if using. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Stir in a brisk circular motion while pouring in a thin stream of whisked egg.
- Season with chives before serving if desired.
Courses Main Course
Looking for more quick and easy recipes?
I’ve put together a list of 25+ quick, healthy meals that either:
- 1. Take 30 minutes or less to make
– OR –
2. Have a cook time that is longer than thirty minutes but they require very little hands-on prep time, so they’re quick in the sense that the require very little time in the kitchen.
Could you use $60 in FREE organic groceries?
I love sharing new recipes and exclusive deals with you, so let’s stay in touch! To thank you for signing up for my newsletter, I’ve partnered with Thrive Market to give you a total of $60 off your first three purchases – i.e. $20 off each order.
If you’re not familiar with them, Thrive Market is basically Whole Foods meets Costco, delivered directly to your door. They’re on a mission to make healthy living affordable by offering wholesome food and non-toxic products for less than you’d pay in traditional retail stores. Fill out the form below to claim your free groceries!