A protein-packed, mineral rich meal in 15 minutes flat? Yes, please! Usually egg drop soup recipes call for thickeners like cornstarch or arrowroot – which is not GAPS-friendly – and soy sauce is a no-no, so I hadn’t even attempted it. But by happy accident [read NO FOOD in the house], I recently rediscovered egg drop soup. Yay!
I actually prefer this version to the thickened ones, although now that we’ve transitioned to a paleo approach a little arrowroot powder could technically be stirred in. I hope you love this simple recipe as much as we do!
Egg Drop Soup Recipe
- 1 diced onion
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon coconut aminos - naturally fermented soy sauce can be substituted if desired (where to buy coconut aminos)
- 2 quarts unsalted chicken broth
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1-2 teaspoons sea salt - start with 1 and increase to taste - you may need less if you use soy sauce because it is higher in salt than coconut aminos (this is the salt I use)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp fish sauce - optional (where to buy fish sauce)
- 2 tablespoons green onions, (optional)
- Add coconut oil/sesame oill to a medium-sized pot and warm over medium heat. Add onions and saute until soft.
- Add the chicken broth, coconut aminos, salt, pepper and fish sauce if using. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Stir in a brisk circular motion while pouring in a thin stream of whisked egg.
- Season with chives before serving if desired.
Courses Main Course
Looking for more quick and easy recipes?
I’ve put together a list of 25+ quick, healthy meals that either:
- 1. Take 30 minutes or less to make
– OR –
2. Have a cook time that is longer than thirty minutes but they require very little hands-on prep time, so they’re quick in the sense that the require very little time in the kitchen.