Note from Mommypotamus: Today’s guest post comes from Katie of Girl Meets Nourishment, Thank you for stopping by, Katie!
I remember the days when I was a kid . . .
Eating Jell-O cup after Jell-O cup; with my lunches, as an afternoon snack, for breakfast – I could not get enough Jell-O! My Granny also was a connoisseur of the the boxed kind, mixing it with canned fruit. I used to savoring every bite! Let me tell you, Jell-O topped my list of favorite snacks when I was young – and still does to this day.
Since that time, I’ve been educated on the importance of sourcing grass-fed gelatin and I have removed the consumption of unnecessarily processed foods from my diet. Needless to say, the little boxes of jelly goodness were removed from my cupboards.
Alas, I discovered it is possible to make delicious jelly cups better than the box! I never wanted to give up this favorite treat of mine, especially with all the benefits of good-quality gelatin. I created a recipe that is not only as easy as the box but tastes better! Plus, it is inspired by one of my favorite childhood popsicles: Orange Creamsicles!
This recipe is designed after the pre-made gelatin cups you can buy from the store – except made with real food ingredients. I made these in small glass storage containers that come with fitted lids which makes this recipe easy for grab-and-go, lunches, or afternoon snacks. It is creamy, smooth, flavorful, and is kid and husband approved!
Homemade Creamsicle Gelatin Cups
For the Orange Layer:
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons of organic, fresh squeezed orange juice 1 and 1/4 tablespoons grass-fed gelatin (where to buy grass-fed gelatin)
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons organic maple syrup or raw honey (where to buy maple syrup, where to buy raw honey)
- 1/2 teaspoons organic vanilla extract (where to buy vanilla extract, how to make your own vanilla extract)
For the Cream Layer:
- 2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon of raw cream 1/2 tablespoon grass-fed gelatin (where to buy grass-fed gelatin)
- In a small bowl, mix together the 2 tablespoons orange juice and the 1 and 1/4 tablespoons of the gelatin until well-combined. Let this mixture "bloom" (i.e., hydrate the gelatin grains) for one minute.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low, heat 1/2 cup of the orange juice plus the maple syrup and vanilla until just warmed. Add the "bloomed" gelatin mixture and whisk until just melted. Pour this gelatin/orange juice mixture into the reserved 1 and 1/2 cups juice and whisk well. Pour into 5 small glass cups with lids (like these). Chill until firm in the fridge (about two to three hours).
- Once the other orange gelatin is firm, it's time to make the cream layer. "Bloom" together 1/2 tablespoon gelatin and the 1 tablespoon of raw cream.
- Pour 1/3 cup of raw cream into a clean saucepan over medium-low, once warm add in the "bloomed" gelatin/cream mixture. Whisk until well-combined and melted then pour into reserved cream, whisking again until everything is mixed together.
- Take the orange jelly cups from the fridge and evenly distribute the cream gelatin mixture on top of the orange layers. Place back in the fridge for 2 hours until solidified. And they are done!
Hello, my name is Katie and I am on a real food and unprocessed living journey. I share my journey on my blog, Girl Meets Nourishment.
I am getting back to the basics preparing food the old-fashioned way and discovering new ideas for a healthy life. This veteran vegetarian of nine years now proudly eat lots of butter, takes cod liver oil, drinks kombucha, and all that is nourishing. This journey has opened me up to a new world filled with the wisdom of generations before me. I want to try these out-of-the-ordinary old-fashioned recipes and make them into my modern nourishment – making real food from real things in real time and making our home as unprocessed as possible. Come visit me and Girl Meets Nourishment on my Blog, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube, Instagram, and Google+!
Could you use $60 in FREE organic groceries?
I love sharing new recipes and exclusive deals with you, so let’s stay in touch! To thank you for signing up for my newsletter, I’ve partnered with Thrive Market to give you a total of $60 off your first three purchases – i.e. $20 off each order.
If you’re not familiar with them, Thrive Market is basically Whole Foods meets Costco, delivered directly to your door. They’re on a mission to make healthy living affordable by offering wholesome food and non-toxic products for less than you’d pay in traditional retail stores. Fill out the form below to claim your free groceries!