Polaroid cameras, velvet chokers and kale chips – they’re all making a comeback, but some are tastier than others. 🙂 Salty, crispy kale chips were one of the first snacks I fell in love with when I transitioned to real food, way before there were healthy chip options like these.
Unfortunately, sometime between the moment I first yelled “WHERE IS THE BABY??” while holding my firstborn and the time my third-child said “I’m not your wuggage” as I carried him to bed, I basically forgot all about them. Until recently, that is, when my friend Genevieve sent me a bright pink, super cute “Oh kale yeah!” shirt along with my very own copy of The Mama Natural Week-By-Week Guide To Pregnancy & Childbirth. I’m not saying it was her plan to make me want to hold #allthebabies as I flipped through her book and that the kale chip cravings came from that, but I’m not saying it wasn’t.
Tip: Here’s the fastest way to de-stem kale
A few weeks ago my daughter schooled me in the kitchen. We were making kale chips and she started using this technique I’ve never seen before. We were done de-stemming the kale in no time – such a time saver! Here’s her technique:
How To Make Kale Chips
- Preheat your oven to 300F.
- Tear the leaves off the stem and place them in a medium bowl.
- Pour the oil over the leaves and massage it in with your hands until the kale is coated on all sides.
- Place a single layer of kale on a large baking sheet, with a bit of space between each piece.
- Sprinkle with salt and bake for 10 minutes, then flip and bake for 8 more minutes. Remove the pan and check to see if the chips are crispy. If they are serve them - if not, pop them back in the oven for a couple more minutes.
Need help making REAL food work in REAL life?
Then I’d love to give you a free copy of my ebook – The Busy Mama’s Guide To Getting Dinner On The Table – as a gift for signing up for my newsletter. You’ll get my top seven tips for simplifying meal prep, plus updates when I post new healthy recipes, exclusive gifts, coupons (I was able to give away a jar of free coconut oil to anyone who wanted it recently!), and other goodies. Don’t miss out!