Polaroid cameras, velvet chokers and kale chips – they’re all making a comeback, but some are tastier than others. 🙂 Salty, crispy kale chips were one of the first snacks I fell in love with when I transitioned to real food, way before there were healthy chip options like these.
Unfortunately, sometime between the moment I first yelled “WHERE IS THE BABY??” while holding my firstborn and the time my third-child said “I’m not your wuggage” as I carried him to bed, I basically forgot all about them. Until recently, that is, when my friend Genevieve sent me a bright pink, super cute “Oh kale yeah!” shirt along with my very own copy of The Mama Natural Week-By-Week Guide To Pregnancy & Childbirth. I’m not saying it was her plan to make me want to hold #allthebabies as I flipped through her book and that the kale chip cravings came from that, but I’m not saying it wasn’t.
Tip: Here’s the fastest way to de-stem kale
A few weeks ago my daughter schooled me in the kitchen. We were making kale chips and she started using this technique I’ve never seen before. We were done de-stemming the kale in no time – such a time saver! Here’s her technique:
How To Make Kale Chips
- Preheat your oven to 300F.
- Tear the leaves off the stem and place them in a medium bowl.
- Pour the oil over the leaves and massage it in with your hands until the kale is coated on all sides.
- Place a single layer of kale on a large baking sheet, with a bit of space between each piece.
- Sprinkle with salt and bake for 10 minutes, then flip and bake for 8 more minutes. Remove the pan and check to see if the chips are crispy. If they are serve them - if not, pop them back in the oven for a couple more minutes.
Could you use $60 in FREE organic groceries?
I love sharing new recipes and exclusive deals with you, so let’s stay in touch! To thank you for signing up for my newsletter, I’ve partnered with Thrive Market to give you a total of $60 off your first three purchases – i.e. $20 off each order.
If you’re not familiar with them, Thrive Market is basically Whole Foods meets Costco, delivered directly to your door. They’re on a mission to make healthy living affordable by offering wholesome food and non-toxic products for less than you’d pay in traditional retail stores. Fill out the form below to claim your free groceries!