Moist and cakey, these lemon poppyseed muffins are like sweet little bursts of sunshine on a stay-in-your-pajamas rainy day . . . or a pop-out-of-bed and hit the road early day . . . or any day, really. Like my five-minute ketchup, super simple cauliflower crust, and homemade chicken nuggets, they’re easy enough to whip up while simultaneously discussing how many eyelids camels have (three) and whether or not all birds can fly (nope).
And of course, we’re using only real ingredients – not the partially hydrogenated oil, modified food starch, yellow number 5, and other stuff you’ll find on store shelves. I hope you love this recipe as much as we do!
Lemon Poppyseed Muffins (Gluten-Free, Paleo)
Makes 9 muffins in a standard muffin pan
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons sucanat
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (find it here or make your own with this recipe)
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- zest of one lemon (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease nine muffin cups with butter or coconut oil. If desired pop some parchment paper muffin liners in as well.
- Set aside 2 teaspoons of almond flour. In a mixing bowl, combine the remaining almond flour with the coconut flour, salt, poppyseeds and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, honey, vanilla, lemon extract, and lemon zest. Add the flour to the egg mixture, then pour batter into muffin cups. Combine sucanat with almond flour and sprinkle over the top of the muffins. Bake for about 20 minutes - the tops should be springy yet firm when they're ready. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before removing from the muffin pan.
Could you use $60 in FREE organic groceries?
I love sharing new recipes and exclusive deals with you, so let’s stay in touch! To thank you for signing up for my newsletter, I’ve partnered with Thrive Market to give you a total of $60 off your first three purchases – i.e. $20 off each order.
If you’re not familiar with them, Thrive Market is basically Whole Foods meets Costco, delivered directly to your door. They’re on a mission to make healthy living affordable by offering wholesome food and non-toxic products for less than you’d pay in traditional retail stores. Fill out the form below to claim your free groceries!