Moist and cakey, these lemon poppyseed muffins are like sweet little bursts of sunshine on a stay-in-your-pajamas rainy day . . . or a pop-out-of-bed and hit the road early day . . . or any day, really. Like my five-minute ketchup, super simple cauliflower crust, and homemade chicken nuggets, they’re easy enough to whip up while simultaneously discussing how many eyelids camels have (three) and whether or not all birds can fly (nope).
And of course, we’re using only real ingredients – not the partially hydrogenated oil, modified food starch, yellow number 5, and other stuff you’ll find on store shelves. I hope you love this recipe as much as we do!
Lemon Poppyseed Muffins (Gluten-Free, Paleo)
Makes 9 muffins in a standard muffin pan
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons sucanat
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (find it here or make your own with this recipe)
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- zest of one lemon (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease nine muffin cups with butter or coconut oil. If desired pop some parchment paper muffin liners in as well.
- Set aside 2 teaspoons of almond flour. In a mixing bowl, combine the remaining almond flour with the coconut flour, salt, poppyseeds and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, honey, vanilla, lemon extract, and lemon zest. Add the flour to the egg mixture, then pour batter into muffin cups. Combine sucanat with almond flour and sprinkle over the top of the muffins. Bake for about 20 minutes - the tops should be springy yet firm when they're ready. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before removing from the muffin pan.
Need help making REAL food work in REAL life?
Then I’d love to give you a free copy of my ebook – The Busy Mama’s Guide To Getting Dinner On The Table – as a gift for signing up for my newsletter. You’ll get my top seven tips for simplifying meal prep, plus updates when I post new healthy recipes, exclusive gifts, coupons (I was able to give away a jar of free coconut oil to anyone who wanted it recently!), and other goodies. Don’t miss out!