Note from Mommypotamus: Pinch me! I woke up this morning to the sound of crashing waves and seagulls. The potami are headed down to the beach to try to spot some dolphins, but before we go I wanted to share with you this easy, healthy snack recipe from my friend Sylvie of Hollywood Homestead.
What if there was one simple superfood . . .
That worked as bone building fuel for growing kids, a natural “botox” for mom, and scored you major dessert points with the whole family?
I know, I know, when something sounds too good to be true it often is. But gelatin (the great quality, pastured kind) really does live up the hype and you really can make some tasty treats with it like puddings, custard, gummies, “jello” and many more.
My gelatin obsession started when my oldest (then 14 years old) was about to have major spinal surgery for her severe scoliosis. That sent me down the rabbit hole of what the optimal nutrition is for bone health and surgery recovery. The doctors and post-op nurses at the hospital were shocked at how quickly she recovered and gelatin had a huge part in making that happen.
I had no choice but to create The Gelatin Secret to share all the ways something so simple as homemade bone broth and homemade jello can be so impactful to every single part of our bodies.
Along the way I learned that regularly consuming gelatin and collagen work as “botox” for the skin as well! Preventing and reversing wrinkles, cellulite and stretch marks are a nice bonus, kind of like those funny parts in kids’ movies these days that they sneak in just for us parents. 😉
The list of conditions and symptoms that gelatin can help with is borderline ridiculous!
Here are just a few:
- Multiple allergies
- Food sensitivities
- Joint and mobility pain
- Chronic abdominal pain
- Abdominal tenderness
- Acne and blemishes
- Dull and fragile hair
- Tooth decay and sensitivity
- Brittle nails
- Stomach cramps, bloating and constipation
- Hormonal imbalance
- Rollercoaster weight gain
- Stress-induced insomnia
- Wrinkles and stretch marks
- Anxiety and fatigue
Luckily, adding gelatin to your diet and your kids diet is not only easy, it’s delicious! This recipe is from my ebook, The Gelatin Secret, which goes into detail about how gelatin nourishes each part of our body and includes many recipes, both savory and sweet so you can jumpstart your journey to health right away.
Strawberry Cream Gummies
- 1 can (13.5oz) full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup pureed strawberries
- 1/4 cup organic, grade B maple syrup
- 1/4 cup fresh squeeze lemon juice
- 13 tablespoons gelatin - yup, that’s no typo (where to buy grass-fed gelatin)
- 4 tablespoons raw honey
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract (where to buy vanilla extract, how to make your own vanilla extract)
- Immersion blender
- Silicone molds
- Combine strawberries, lemon juice, and honey on low heat in a small saucepan on the stove.
- Stir until warm, not hot as it will kill the probiotic quality in the honey.
- Add 7 T. of the gelatin and immediately mix with an immersion blender until smooth and lump free.
- Pour strawberry mixture into molds, but ONLY fill each on halfway (the rest of the space will be filled by the cream).
- Put the strawberry molds in the freezer. For easy transport, place the silicone mold on a cookie sheet.
- Combine the coconut milk, vanilla, and maple syrup in a clean saucepan and warm on low.
- Add 6 T. gelatin and mix immediately with immersion blender.
- Take out the strawberry molds and complete the pouring with the cream portion.
- Put back in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Bring out and let sit until room temperature. Store for a week at room temperature, refrigerate if they manage to last longer than that. Enjoy!
Want tips for making REAL food work in REAL life?
Then I’d love to give you a free copy of The Busy Mama’s Guide To Getting Dinner On The Table as a gift for signing up for my newsletter. You’ll get my top seven tips for simplifying meal prep, plus updates when I post new healthy recipes, exclusive gifts, coupons (I was able to give away a jar of free coconut oil to anyone who wanted it recently!), and other goodies. Don’t miss out!